Profile of Mitch McConnell on C-SPANMarch 7, 2019
The State of our EconomyJune 30, 2019
President Trump has taken unprecedented steps to stop the crisis at the border.
- The President is following through on his promise to build the border wall and it’s expected 400 miles will be finished by the end of next year.
- The President got Mexico to step up and help stop the crisis at the border by using the threat of tariffs.
The President is achieving all of this in the face of unprecedented obstruction from Nancy Pelosi and Democrats in Congress.
- It’s time Democrats work to close dangerous loopholes such as “catch and release” that are driving this crisis.
We are facing an unprecedented crisis at our southern border. Figures from Customs and Border Protection (CBP) highlight the growing crisis at the border.
- In May, 144,278 migrants were apprehended or deemed inadmissible at the border – a 32% increase from April.
- There have been 3 straight months with more than 100,000 migrants apprehended or deemed inadmissible at the border.
- This Fiscal Year (FY), more than 675,000 migrants have been apprehended or deemed inadmissible at the border. This is double the number during the same period last year.
- In May, more than 132,000 migrants were apprehended at the border alone – a 229% jump from May 2018.
- This FY, more than 600,000 migrants were apprehended at the border – the largest figure in at least 10 years. We are on pace to apprehend at least 1,000,000 migrants this fiscal year.
- In FY2019 to date, the U.S. Border Patrol and Office of Field Operations has encountered more than 11,000 criminal aliens attempting to cross the border.
- This FY, Border Patrol has seized a combined 395,000 pounds of drugs.
As the President takes unprecedented steps to stop the border crisis, 2020 Democrats are continuing advocate for tearing down existing border wall, abolishing ICE, and supporting sanctuary cities.